THEMATIC RESEARCH GRANT PROGRAMME
THEMATIC RESEARCH GRANT PROGRAMME (Phase –II)
Invitation of Proposals
Social Sciences & Humanities Research Council of Pakistan (SSHRCP), Higher Education Commission, Pakistan has initiated the Thematic Research Grant Programme in 2009 to address the contemporary issues of the country. The research scholars who have theoretical, conceptual, methodological and policy orientation background may apply for grants under subject programme. The research projects may belong to any one of the Social Sciences & Humanities disciplines or may be interdisciplinary in nature. Groups or individual Researchers from Public/ Private sector universities can submit their proposals against one of the following themes :
1. Sustainable Human Development, poverty and Inequality
2. Costs and opportunities of Pakistan's changing age structure : Demographic dividend, aging and urbanization
3. The State in Pakistan : Internal and External Challenges
4. Ensuring human rights and cultural diversity : The role of media and civil society
Ø All Faculty Members & Researchers holding full time position of Public Sector Universities
Ø All Faculty Members & Researchers holding full time position of following selected Private Sector Universities :
1. Aga Khan University, Karachi
2. Baqai Medical University, Karachi
3. Beaconhouse National University, Lahore
4. Dadabhoy Institute of Higher Education, Karachi
5. Forman Christian College, Lahore
6. Foundation University, Islamabad
7. GIK Institute of Engineering & Technology, Topi
8. Indus Institute of Higher Education, Karachi
9. Institute of Business and Technology, Karachi
10. Institute of Business Management, Karachi
11. Iqra University
12. Lahore University of Management Sciences, Lahore
13. National University of Computer and Emerging Sciences (FAST), Islamabad
14. Riphah International University, Islamabad
15. Sarhad University of Science & Information Technology, Peshawar
16. Shaheed Zulfikar Ali Bhutto Institute of Science & Technology (SZABIST)
17. The University of Faisalabad
18. The University of Lahore
19. University of Management Technology, Lahore
20. Zia ud Din University, Karachi
21. Isra University, Hyderabad
HEC Provides research grants to a maximum of Rs.10 million for each research project. (depending upon the Impact Factor of Principal Investigator)
Research Proposals submitted to HEC for funding will be evaluated by a group of expert. Seminar presentation by Principal Investigators may be held of shortlisted research proposals.
Grants will be awarded for one year only.
Kindly send four copies of application duly recommended by the Head of institution (e.g. Universities/ DAIs/ Research institutes)
The last date for submission of proposals is 15th September 2011
Deputy Director (Academics)
Social Sciences & Humanities Research Council of Pakistan
Higher Education Commission
Phone : 051-90402428, 90402114
Fax : 051-90402429
HIGHER EDUCATION COMMISSION PAKISTAN
Social Sciences & Humanities Research Council of Pakistan (SSHRCP)
Invitation of Proposals for Thematic Research Grant Program
Social Sciences & Humanities Research Council of Pakistan (SSHRCP), Higher Education Commission Pakistan invites the proposals for Thematic Research Grant Program which is specially designed to address the contemporary issues of the country. The scholars of Social Sciences & Humanities, who have theoretical, conceptual, methodological and policy orientation background may apply for grants under subject program. The research projects may belong to any one of the Social Sciences & Humanities disciplines or may be interdisciplinary in nature. Groups or individual Researchers from Public/ Private sector universities can submit their proposals against one of the following themes.
- Ethnicity, Social cohesion and Political integration.
- Family Transition, Technology and Social Change.
- Economics of Extremism and Violence.
Click here to download the details of the themes.
Application for Grants and Selection Procedure:
Higher Education Commission will organize research competitions annually and fund selected research projects. A Call for Proposals will be announced every year. This announcement will be carried out in the National News Papers and HEC web site. Research proposals will generally be invited on issues of the economic relevance to Pakistan. The general guidelines for application and selection criteria will be highlighted:
Guidelines for Funding and Application:
- Grants will be awarded for one year only.
- Applicants must be a full time teacher/researcher of public/private sector universities/ DAIs/ research institutions.
- An applicant cannot submit more than one project in a year.
- Steering Committee Member cannot be a project holder or a researcher.
- A formal application must be made by the institution (e.g. Universities, research institutes) with which the applicant is affiliated and if the project proposal is funded, the institution will be responsible for the administration of the grant. No funds will be paid directly to the individuals.
Selection will be made on a competitive basis. The Research Advisory Panel (RAP) of SSHRCP comprising of renowned Social Scientist will evaluate the research proposals.
- Project Proposal: The sub-committee for each theme would conduct Peer reviewers to identify suitable projects and the Principal Investigators of approved proposals would be invited to present their possible research ideas.
- Interim Report: There would be a mid term review where a larger review committee of professionals would get together to critically evaluate papers and provide feedback to the researchers at a workshop.
- Final Evaluation: Final evaluation would be linked to a conference: “annual conference of social sciences” one session would be dedicated to these researchers to present their papers for peer review and comments
All applications will be received by SSHRCP at HEC and will be forwarded to the Evaluation Committee for peer review. The evaluation of the research proposals will be based on:
- Clarity of the proposed research question
- Use of the most modern and appropriate techniques.
- Cost effectiveness.
Guidelines for Proposal Submission:
- Proposals must include the following components:
- A cover sheet clearly specifying the project title, names of principal researchers and e-mail address.
- An abstract of no more than 200 words outlining the significance of the research and the methodology to be used.
- A research proposal of no more than ten (10) doubled- spaced pages.
- A brief survey of literature and some indication of the availability of data.
- A bibliography of relevant literature.
- Short CVs of participating researcher/s (not more than ten pages).
- Information on how many other project/s the researchers/s will be involved at the same time as the proposed study.
- The proposed budget on a separate sheet in the format below. If more than one institute is involved, the budget must clearly state the expenses for each institute in respect of all cost-heads, viz.
Field Survey/Data Collection
Books, Stationary and Software
Travel for workshop/conference
Overheads (up to 2% of the subtotal)
Grants cannot be used for buying vehicles, computers, hardware and other acquisitions of a capital nature.
Maximum funding up to Rs.1.0 million for each research project.
The disbursement pattern would be 25°/o upon award of the grant and signing of the contract, 50% upon receipt of the progress report at the mid-point of the grant and 25% upon receipt of final deliverables from the grant.
Social Sciences & Humanities Research Council of Pakistan
Higher Education Commission, H-9, Islamabad
Phone: 051-90402428, 90402126 Fax: 051-90402429