The University Grants Commission was established in July, 1973 and given the charter on 27th April 1974 by an Act of Parliament. Higher Education Commission (HEC) established in Sep 11, 2002 by an Ordinance of the Government of Pakistan (Ordinance No. LIII, 2002) for the uplift of the higher education and research activities in Pakistan. The UGC library established in 70s to support and assist parent organization in its activities and getting goals with limited resources.
In 2002 the UGC Library renamed as HEC library. It serves research scholars, teachers and students on one hand and on the other hand it provides services to HEC employees. There are provision of 19 national dailies in English and Urdu. The library subscribes to 18 International and Local journals and magazines. It is a central repository for collection of PhD theses and HEC recognized Pakistani research journals. Its PhD theses collection is a national treasure and an unrivalled intellectual resource. Online full text access of more than 2800 theses is available on HEC website (www.eprints.hec.gov.pk). The readers may have the option to retrieve information by subject, title, name of researcher, year and name of the university. The Library also provides the facility of CCS(Current Contents Services) to users. HEC Library is also playing a pivotal role to provide the full access of National Digital Library Resources to its users.
Purpose of the HEC Library:
- To facilitate the HEC employees.
- To facilitate the scholars of surrounding universities.
- To collect PhD theses from all over the country.
- To provide a comprehensive mechanism on the preservation of the Library’s collections. It is intended to cover all material on higher education, higher education management, higher education policies and other issues related to higher education in all formats.
- To provide current and back volumes of national and international journals.
- To provide access to digital library and online databases.